Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Leave a mark

Everyday I set aside time to teach the kids. They are both so smart and enjoy learning. I strongly believe kids should learn by reading and writing not by sitting in front of a TV with loud colorful objects and music. I mean, when they get to school they are going to have to sit and be quiet. I have been working with Lance on his letters. He has been picking it up really fast and learning what sounds each letter makes. He knows how to spell mommy's name, HOLLY; he knows both of his grandma's start with the letter 'S', he even knows how to spell his name. Up until yesterday he had always put all the letters of his name randomly on the paper. Yesterday he spelled his name all by himself in order from left to right. I am so proud of my big boy! He is getting so smart. He is all about learning! When we are driving he loves to point out the shapes of the sign. He will say, "mom, that sign is a rectangle!" as we are driving by.
I love hearing him with so much excitement say "that letter is in my name" anytime he sees a L A N C or E
I am still working on Lexie. She loves to repeat things she bears her big brother saying. She can almost count to 10 now. She knows 1 2 3 4 5 and 7 8 9 but we can't quite get it all in a row and add the 6 in there. She will get it soon. She has almost all of her colors down. When we are driving I ask her what colors the cars are that go by. If it is a weird shade or she doesn't know it then it is automatically "pink".
Yesterday, Lance was using a permanent marker to draw. I allowed him to use it, but explained to him not to write on himself or the table because it won't come off. He did very well with it. Well, at some point Lexie got the marker and did not do so well. She drew on her face of all places. As daddy was coming home from work I told him to be prepared when he seen Lexie. Daddy stopped by the store and bought the kids colorful WASHABLE markers to use. They love the new markers.
We love learning time! We read lots of books and talk about what is in each one, especially ones about animals. We count, we draw, color, sing songs and even take a break for exercises. My favorite exercise to do with the kids are jumping jacks. They are so dang funny. I am sure they think the same thing about mommy.



No comments:

Post a Comment