Saturday, September 15, 2012

Gone Fishing

One thing that Andrew and I couldn't wait to do once moving to Alaska was to go fishing. Andrew and I both love fishing! Well, Lance does too but we thought he was still kind of small to go out on a fishing boat. We booked the baby sitter for that day and waited for the day to come. We left super early in the morning and headed down to Homer. It was cold but we were bundled up pretty good. On the way out we seen quite a few Otters. I couldn't believe how big they were. I was really hoping we would get to see some Orcas or hump backs.
We made out way out in the boat to where we would be fishing. Rite off the bat Our friend caught a pretty good size king salmon and then Andrew caught a big one. We knew it was going to be a good day!
We never were able to get the salmon to bite again so after a while we gave up and started working on the halibut. We ended up catching quite a few. You are only allowed to keep two per person a day so we threw back several in hopes of landing a great big one. I caught one flounder and 5 halibut. On my 5th halibut I was ready to throw in the towel. My arms were killing me. It felt like I had a whale on the end of my line. I decided to keep the 5th one and rest.

I am not sure how many Andrew ended up catching but he was getting pretty wore down too. We each caught our limit of two each so we were pretty happy. We ended up with some pretty big fish fillets.
After asking several people how they cooked fillets we narrowed it down to two ways we thought would be good for us. I pan fried mine and Andrew baked his wrapped in tinfoil. Both ways were awesome! Halibut is such a yummy fish. Salmon, on the other hand, is not my favorite. We will have to experiment with some different ways to cook it.

No comments:

Post a Comment